Northshore Community Church (NCC) has been partnering with the Northshore School District (NSD) for over a decade, serving staff and students with events such as Community Serve Day, Toy Shop, and Care Day. Now NCC has been asked to partner with a local neighborhood school – Woodmoor Elementary – to launch a tutoring program for at-risk students. The Woodmoor staff has identified students that would benefit from your help to improve their reading and math skills. Volunteers work under the direction of Woodmoor staff to help students increase their abilities and keep up with their peers.
Being a Tutor
- A typical volunteer experience involves 1 hour per week in a classroom at Woodmoor Elementary, for a 6 week session.
- As a tutor, you work with the same 2-3 children for the 6-week period, collaborating with the teacher throughout the time.
- You can volunteer for more than one tutoring session during the week if you wish.
- Training and support is available for all tutoring volunteers, by Woodmoor and NCC staff.
- Online scheduling and communication tools help you and the teacher smoothly coordinate your volunteering time.
- The January session is currently underway with 18 volunteer tutors.
- The March session starts March 18th, and you can signup now to participate.
- To signup contact the Local Outreach team (Tim King or Brenda Berry) for more information (see below).
To learn more
Other opportunities to get Involved
If you can’t be a tutor, there are other ways to get involved (details coming soon).
Contact Tim King (email@example.com) to learn more.